As part of the NRFC’s efforts to support the responsible fatherhood field the NRFC hosts a Webinar series. Originally directed toward the Office of Family Assistance-funded Responsible Fatherhood grantee programs, these Webinars focus on a range of programmatic topics, including working with specific populations, evaluation support, and program implementation tools. You can find recordings of each webinar on the NRFC Multimedia page.
Working with Latino Dads
Fatherhood programs work with fathers to help them improve their parenting, relationship, and employment skills and generally strengthen families to improve outcomes for children. Some of the approaches to this work are universal, others are more culturally grounded. This webinar explored strategies that have proven successful in work with fathers from Latino backgrounds.
Watch the recording
Participants will improve their knowledge and understanding of:
- Ways in which working with Latino fathers may differ from work with other dads.
- Strategies that have proven successful in connecting with Latino fathers.
- General tips for programs that work with Latino fathers, including hiring and training culturally competent staff, providing effective services, and creating an environment of mutual learning and respect.
- Resources for more information.
- Jerry Tello, National Compadres Network, Los Angeles, CA
- Jose Muñoz, Compadre y Compadre, The Children’s Shelter, San Antonio, TX
- Alicia La Hoz, Family Bridges, Chicago, IL
Facilitator: Jen McHenry, National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse