- Complex family relationships often present challenges and opportunities that require more negotiation, communication, boundary setting, and conflict management.
- Services provided to enhance relationship skills for fathers need to take into account the variety of household and relationship structures within which fathers, children, and mothers live.
- Programs should focus on developing key relationship skills for fathers, such as effective communication, active listening, and empathy.
- Programs should emphasize the importance of effective co-parenting for the benefit of the child, and offer healthy parenting and communication tips to minimize the effects on children of any tension, stress, or conflict. This includes tips on when and how to introduce a new partner to children.
- Mediation services should be made available.
- Work with non-residential fathers should help them understand the importance of developing cordial, empathetic relationships with their co-parent.