Click the triangle button in the audio player below to play the podcast.
Armin Brott is the author of The Expectant Father and a syndicated newspaper column (Mr. Dad); he also hosts two syndicated radio shows, including one on Armed Forces Radio.
- In this wide-ranging conversation, he talks about the portrayal of fathers in literature, paternity leave, the experience of becoming a parent, what to expect as a new dad, and how moms and dads are both important in the lives of their children.
- He offers advice on dealing with divorce, co-parenting and step-parenting, and talks about work he is doing to help social services’ staff do a better job of engaging fathers.
- In the course of the conversation he offers various tips for dads, including:
- “Be prepared to make mistakes, then you can figure out ways to not make those mistakes anymore.”
- “Child support should never be used as a weapon, by moms or dads.”
- “A kid doesn’t care if you have money or not. Take him to the park, that’s free. Go to the library and check out a book, that’s free. Read together, cook together. It doesn’t matter what you do. You need to spend time with them.”
Listen to the full podcast (via the audio player to the top left of this section) for more information.
Do you have something you think is appropriate for the library? Submit Library Resources.