Tips and Activities
Check out the resources and ideas in this section for different ways to get and stay involved with your children. Have ideas or suggestions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sometimes the best information we can get on parenting is from each other. Talking to and learning from other parents can be a great source of information and support!
[Note: Some comments have been edited.]
What has been your greatest "fatherhood" moment? October 2014
- Welcoming my baby girl to this world when she was born. Holding her in my arms and humming songs to her in the middle of the night. Every moment is precious! A. Harrer
- Everything! My son is the love of my life, he is my everything. 11-years-old and he's out there with me working on our car, helping me wash her, and get her showroom ready...great kid in the classroom, and a great kid out in public being well mannered as well! L. Perez
- Just watching my kids be themselves and being silly with them. And knowing they love me as much as I love them. L. Cusic
- Being a single dad, raising my daughter myself since she was 18 months old, and she is a great kid, works [hard] in school, and is in the gifted program. She makes me so proud everyday…If someone's in trouble, she wants to help. A. Redden
- Taking off a training wheel to teach him to ride a two wheel bike. Phone rang and when I got back, my 5-year-old had taken the other wheel off by himself (having seen me remove the first one) and was riding like it was nobody's business. J. Bowman
What advice would you give a young dad raising a newborn? March 2014
- Be gentle, be patient, be loving. Always be there. T. Berntson
- Read to your child 30 minutes a day. By the time he reaches Kindergarten he will have learned 500 words or more. T. Spencer
- Open a 529 College investment plan. It costs $100.00 to start and you can do it at any Federal Credit Union. T. Spencer
- Tell your kids that you love them every moment and play with them. Don’t get discouraged - be strong. B. Bearbow
- Turn the T.V. off and spend time with your baby, as much as you can, they grow fast. Set a good example to be a man and gentleman. A. Avila