Building strong partnerships and strong families takes more than a weekend. Past Fatherhood Buzz events provided many tips and resources for fathers, barbershops, and community partners. Find ways to keep the “buzz” going here!
The nationwide Fatherhood Buzz: Men's Health Matters took place on Saturday, January 24, 2015.
Fathers who model a healthy lifestyle can have a powerful and positive impact on the development and health of their children. In fact, a number of studies have found that children who have actively engaged fathers are more likely to have good physical and emotional health, to achieve academically, and to avoid drugs, violence, and delinquent behavior. This is also a significant time to talk about men’s health because of the new opportunities for health insurance coverage made available through the ACA. Millions of men will be eligible to be covered and receive access to preventative and care services that are critical for promoting and maintaining good health.
Learn more about HHS’ Brother2Brother initiative in this HHS Blog post from Feb. 21, 2014.
Going to the Barbershop Fatherhood Buzz Activity Book
In 2014, the NRFC created “Going to the Barbershop” a coloring and activity book for dads and their school aged children together.
- Going to the Barbershop Fatherhood Buzz Activity Book (2014) (PDF – 1.43 MB)
Here are some tips to help you and your child have a safe and successful school year:
- Encourage your kids to tell you immediately if they, or someone they know, is being bullied or cyber-bullied
- Talk honestly to your child about bullying. Visit StopBullying.gov for help and tips
- Help your child find a quiet place to study whether it be at home or the public library
- Start a family vocabulary box or jar and add new words that your children discover
Responsible fathers make a difference in the lives of their children! Here are just a few ideas for how we all can stay involved:
- Making breakfast (or lunch, or dinner)
- Going to dance and piano recitals
- Checking and helping with homework
Tips in Spanish - Consejos prácticos para padres: Celebrar papá
Regardless of marital status, children deserve to have a healthy, loving relationship with their parents who are actively involved in their lives. Children prosper when they know they are loved by both parents!
Tips in Spanish - Consejos prácticos para padres: Relaciónes Saludables
- Fathers who model a healthy lifestyle can have a powerful and positive impact upon the development and health of their children.
- Engage in physical activity with your children. Take a walk, go swimming or playing catch.
- Eat and prepare healthy meals for yourself and your family.
- Visit your local community health center to get information about no or low cost health care for you and your family.
Tips in Spanish - Consejos prácticos para padres: Ser un Padre Saludable
- Make the most of the time that you spend with your children.
- Read to your baby early and often.
- Remember you are their role model - they hear everything you say and watch everything you do.
- Say "I love you" often.
- Encourage families to volunteer together
- Finding volunteer opportunities and mentoring programs
- Starting your own volunteer Project: Federal Resources
- Facts on the importance of father involvement in education
- Tips for a successful school year
- NRFC Webinar: Effective Strategies for Increasing Father Involvement in Schools
- Tips and activities for parents
- Money management tips
- Job search tips and connecting to a Job Club