Building strong partnerships and strong families takes more than a weekend. Past Fatherhood Buzz events provided many tips and resources for fathers, barbershops, and community partners. Find ways to keep the “buzz” going here!
Going to the Barbershop Activity Book
In 2014, the NRFC created “Going to the Barbershop” a coloring and activity book for dads and their school aged children together.
- Going to the Barbershop Fatherhood Buzz Activity Book (2014) (PDF – 1.43 MB)
The June 2015 Fatherhood Buzz event took place on Saturday, June 20, 2015.
Dynamic dads are active, positive role models in the lives of their children. We celebrate all the dynamic dads across the nation who are changing norms of fatherhood to emphasize quality involvement with their children every day!
Did you know…
- 97% of dads agree that the day their child was board was one of the best days of their lives
- 90% of fathers bathed, diapered, and dressed their children every day or several times a week
Every day dads are doing dynamic things in the lives of their children. Find more activities that you can start or continue being a Dynamic Dad on the Dynamic Dads page.
January 2015: Men's Health Matters
Fathers who model a healthy lifestyle can have a powerful and positive impact on the development and health of their children. In fact, a number of studies have found that children who have actively engaged fathers are more likely to have good physical and emotional health, to achieve academically, and to avoid drugs, violence, and delinquent behavior.
Here are some tips to help you and your child have a safe and successful school year:
- Encourage your kids to tell you immediately if they, or someone they know, is being bullied or cyber-bullied
- Talk honestly to your child about bullying. Visit StopBullying.gov for help and tips
- Help your child find a quiet place to study whether it be at home or the public library
- Start a family vocabulary box or jar and add new words that your children discover
Responsible fathers make a difference in the lives of their children! Here are just a few ideas for how we all can stay involved:
- Making breakfast (or lunch, or dinner)
- Going to dance and piano recitals
- Checking and helping with homework
Tips in Spanish - Consejos prácticos para padres: Celebrar papá
Regardless of marital status, children deserve to have a healthy, loving relationship with their parents who are actively involved in their lives. Children prosper when they know they are loved by both parents!
Tips in Spanish - Consejos prácticos para padres: Relaciónes Saludables
- Fathers who model a healthy lifestyle can have a powerful and positive impact upon the development and health of their children.
- Engage in physical activity with your children. Take a walk, go swimming or playing catch.
- Eat and prepare healthy meals for yourself and your family.
- Visit your local community health center to get information about no or low cost health care for you and your family.
Tips in Spanish - Consejos prácticos para padres: Ser un Padre Saludable
- Make the most of the time that you spend with your children.
- Read to your baby early and often.
- Remember you are their role model - they hear everything you say and watch everything you do.
- Say "I love you" often.
- Encourage families to volunteer together
- Finding volunteer opportunities and mentoring programs
- Starting your own volunteer Project: Federal Resources
- Facts on the importance of father involvement in education
- Tips for a successful school year
- NRFC Webinar: Effective Strategies for Increasing Father Involvement in Schools
- Tips and activities for parents
- Money management tips
- Job search tips and connecting to a Job Club