Building strong partnerships and strong families takes more than a weekend. Past Fatherhood Buzz events provided many tips and resources for fathers, barbershops, and community partners. Find ways to keep the “buzz” going here!
Fall 2013: Men’s Health
Download the Tip Card (PDF - 514.85 KB)
“Take Time to Be a Healthy Dad Today”
- Fathers who model a healthy lifestyle can have a powerful and positive impact upon the development and health of their children.
- Children who have actively engaged fathers are more likely to have good health, to achieve academically, and to avoid drugs, violence, and delinquent behavior.
- Many health risks that men face can be prevented and treated with early diagnosis and by living a healthy lifestyle.
- Access to health care and preventive services can lead to a lifetime of quality time with your family.
- If you don’t have insurance, call 1-800-318-2596 or visit Heathcare.gov to sign up and get covered.
Here are some tips to help you stay healthy and engaged with your children and family:
- Engage in physical activity with your children. Take a walk, go swimming or playing catch. For more ideas, check out the Let's Move! Parents page.
- Eat and prepare healthy meals for youself and your family. For recipeis, visit MyPlate.gov.
- Visit your local community health center to get information about no or low cost health care for you and your family. Find a local center online by entering your zip code in the "Find a Health Center" box about halfway down the web page.
- Surgeon General. National Prevention Council Report 2010, National Prevention Strategy [PDF].
- American Heart Association. Stress Management.
- Mayo Clinic. Men's health: Prevent the top threats.
- Make the most of the time that you spend with your children.
- Read to your baby early and often.
- Remember you are their role model - they hear everything you say and watch everything you do.
- As your child questions and volunteer at his/hear school.
- Say "I love you" often.
- Encourage families to volunteer together
- Finding volunteer opportunities
- Find a mentoring program
- Starting your own volunteer Project: Federal Resources
- Facts on the importance of father involvement in education
- Tips for a successful school year
- NRFC Webinar: Effective Strategies for Increasing Father Involvement in Schools
- Tips and activities for parents
- Money management tips
- Job search tips and connecting to a Job Club