Building strong partnerships and strong families takes more than a weekend. Past Fatherhood Buzz events provided many tips and resources for fathers, barbershops, and community partners. Find ways to keep the “buzz” going here!
June 2013 Fatherhood Buzz Tip Card (507.03 KB)
Enjoy and make the most of the time that you spend with your children. It will benefit you both.
Did you know that:
- Changing diapers helps dad to bond with the baby and provides moms with a welcomed break.
- Holding, gazing, smiling, kissing, singing and laughing all cause positive activities in a baby's brain.
- Children with actively involved fathers display less behavior problems in school.
- The amount of time that fathers spend with his children is less important than what they do with that time.
- Teenage children need their parents more than ever.
Here are some tips to help you bond with your child:
- Read to your baby early and often.
- Remember you are their role model - they hear everything you say and watch everything you do.
- Treat your daughter as you would like others to treat her - continually affirm her worth as a person and a young woman.
- Hug your teenage sons and daughters because as they change, they need to know that you are still the same.
- As your child questions and volunteer at his/hear school.
- Say "I love you" often.
(1) Kyle Pruett, 2000, Fatherneed
(2) Adrienne Burgess, 2006, The Costs and Benefits of Active Fatherhood
(3) Amato, P.R., and Rivera, F., 1999, "Paternal Involvement and Children’s Behavior Problems," Journal of Marriage and Family, 61, 375-384
(4) Bruce Perry, 2001, Bonding and Attachment in Maltreated Children: Consequences of Emotional Neglect in Childhood
(5) Children's Trust Fund of Massachusetts http://www.onetoughjob.com
- Encourage families to volunteer together
- Finding volunteer opportunities
- Find a mentoring program
- Starting your own volunteer Project: Federal Resources
- Facts on the importance of father involvement in education
- Tips for a successful school year
- NRFC Webinar: Effective Strategies for Increasing Father Involvement in Schools
- Tips and activities for parents
- Money management tips
- Job search tips and connecting to a Job Club